Sunday, December 29, 2013

Year End Clearance



Year End Clearance - you see these words everywhere - on TV, in newspapers and magazines, in store windows, and of course, online. It's understandable that stores are clearing out their inventories to make way for the next surge of merchandise. And for bargain hunters - it can be a veritable feast! With the new year upon us, I decided that instead of resolutions, I would conduct my personal Year End Clearance. Before I can focus on what I'm going to do next year, I first need to clear out all those things that are still in my "inventory" from this year.


First and foremost, I must clear out all of my old teacher-files. I am retiring at the end of this school year, and will no longer be teaching high school. (Big Deep Breath) It's time to clear that part of my life from my plate and make room for my new full-time writing life.

Second, I must clear out the physical clutter in my life. We have been remodeling for the better part of two years and its time to GET IT FINISHED.

Third, I must  clear away any old "hurts" or "slights" (real or imagined) that I have been carrying around inside of me. I must remember what is important and what truly matters. It's a waste of valuable space to keep hurtful words inside of yourself. Clear those away and let love take root in that space.

It's a BIG job, but one with many benefits. While I sift through my inventory, I can reflect on what I want to keep and what I want to throw away or give away. I can also discover what 's missing and what I need to add to my stock. The important thing is to make sure I rid myself of the things that don't matter and only add the things that do. 


In the words of Laura Ingalls Wilder,“The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong.” 



No comments:

Post a Comment