Monday, February 14, 2011

What's New?

It's been many years since I've had the sheer joy of experiencing something new - made sweeter because I've always wanted to do it - but never had the opportunity. Last week I saw my first live symphony orchestra and my daughter was one of the musicians.

I'm still bursting with pride and awestruck of her talent and the talents of the other musicians. The finest recording played on the grandest equipment cannot compare with a live performance. Having children who are musicians, I have attended many band concerts, ensembles, and marching band performances, and loved each one. But an orchestra! I floated on clouds from the first notes of Johannes Brahms "Academic Festival Overture," was carried along by the sweet strings of Sir Edward Elgar's "Nimrod from Enigma Variations" and didn't come back to earth until the last strains of Tchaikovsky's Symphony #5.

Spellbound. I was spellbound. And even though I could only see glimpses of my daughter because of the sea of violins, when the orchestra stood after each song, there she was! I knew this night was an epiphany for both of us, made sweeter because we shared it.

I suppose that when we reach a certain age (no, I'm not going to tell you what mine is!) we've used up all of the new experiences life has to offer, or at least seriously depleted the supply. Do you have any of those fresh new experiences on your wish list? If not, it's time to get some. Then go out and make them a part of your life. You will feel renewed and invigorated and perhaps learn something new. You will not regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment