Saturday, January 5, 2013

My Review of The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The Night CircusThe Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

My rating: 5 of 5 stars






View all my reviews


In the world of science fiction fantasy books, I seldom find one that I enjoy. I admit, it's not my cup of tea, but I'm discovering that if it's as well written and original as The Night Circus, it doesn't matter how its categorized.

The Night Circus has all the elements of a fantastic book. It's well written, the characters are luminous, and the plot is so compelling it keeps you reading until the end. With that said, it's the originality of the story that is the biggest gem in this work. The book creates a world where magic is "real" but must be kept safe at the night circus because there, it can be presented to the world as an illusion.

Magic weaves its way through the lives of this cast of characters wreaking havoc, while maintaining an element of reality because these characters still ask the questions we all do - Who am I? Why am I here? What is my place in this world? What is going to happen to me in the future?

The most wonderful element in this book is the age old theme that "love conquers all." Even though The Night Circus has a cast of characters that are both manipulated by magic and manipulators of magic, in the end, even the most powerful of these cannot control love.

No comments:

Post a Comment