Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Books I Recommend

When I do writing workshops, I am often asked to recommend books and authors. Just yesterday, I did a reading from Mama's Shoes at the Princeton Public Library in Princeton, WVA and we found ourselves talking about books by Appalachian authors. I recommended books and authors that many in this group hadn't read, and I was delighted at their excitement. I decided to post my list, that is forever growing, here. I would love to hear your recommendations for a "good read."


Books I HIGHLY Recommend
To Kill a Mockingbird Harper Lee
The Help Kathryn Stoddard
Olive Kitteridge Elizabeth Strout
Gilead Marilynne Robinson
Cold Sassy Tree Olive Ann Burns
Family Linen/Oral History/Saving Grace Lee Smith
The Scarlet Thread Francine Rivers
Eli the Good/The Coal Tattoo/Clay's Quilt/A Parchmentt of Leaves Silas House
Lonesome Dove Larry McMurtry
Cold Mountain Charles Frazier
The Cove/One Foot in Eden Ron Rash
The Secret Life of Bees Sue Monk Kidd
Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant Anne Tyler
Plainson/ Eventide by Kent Haruf
The Lovely Bones Alice Sebold
Snow Falling on Cedars David Guterson
The Dollmaker Harriette Arnow
She's Come Undone Wally Lamb
Beloved/Home  Toni Morrison
Poisonwood Bible Barbara Kingsolver
The Typist Michael Knight
Room Emma Donoghue
The Color Purple Alice Walker
Pilgrim at Tinker Creek  Annie Dillard
Bloodroot Amy Greene
Tinkers Paul Harding
Their Eyes Were Watching God Zora Neale Hurston
Winter’s Bone by Daniel Woodrell
The Unquiet Earth/Storming Heaven Denise Giardina
Moon Women/Plant Life/The Big Beautiful Pam Duncan
River of Earth James Still
The Common Man Maurice Manning 

My Sister's Keeper/The Pact/ Nineteen Minutes Jodi Picoult

I must say that once I fall in love with an author, I read everything by that writer! If you notice, there are writers listed who have many more works than I listed. It goes without saying that I recommend all of that writer's works.










No comments:

Post a Comment