We cut it; then we let it grow. We curl it; then we straighten it. We add highlights; then cover them up. We go lighter; then darker; then lighter again. The sky’s the limit in today’s hair world.
How much do you know about the billion dollar hair care industry. Let’s test your knowledge!
You can have any color of the rainbow and change it as often as you like. But who is responsible for this wonderful world of hair products?
1. Hair dye is one of the oldest known beauty preparations, and was used by ancient cultures in many parts of the world. What country marketed the first modern hair color called “(golden fountain of youth water”? A. Germany B. United States C. France
2. What company developed the first hair dye in the United States? A. Clairol B. L’Oreal C. Avon
3. What company developed the first one-step home hair color? A. L’Oreal B.Clairol C. Redkin
Have you ever permed your hair? It’s a long and somewhat “smelly” process. The first permanent wave was called a Marcel wave named for Marcel Grateau in 1872.
4. What did Marcel use to perm hair? A. an alcohol based solution B. heated tongs that fitted inside of each other C. brass curlers that were heated with hot water
5. By the 1930’s hair was permed by A. hair wrapped around rods that were covered in plastic B. chemicals placed on the hair to induce curling C. the system of winding and holding the hair on a former which was inserted into a heater
6. How often did women in the 1930’s get their hair permed? A. once a year B. every six months C. once every three months
7. The precursor to today’s modern perm was called A. regular wave B. cold wave C. constant curl
8. The method that became the modern day perm was first used in what year? A.1942 B. 1951 C. 1938
9. What percentage of modern women color their hair? A. 65% B. 50% C. 45%
10. At what age does the average woman begin coloring her hair? A. 21 B. 18 C. 25
In my novel, Mama's Shoes,the character Sassy gets the shock of her young life when she finds out her Mama, Sylvia, colors her hair. Sassy has heard the women who frequent the Cut and Curl Beauty Shop, where her Mama works, ask Sylvia to color their hair the same auburn color she wears. Sassy has also heard her Mama say time and time again, "Honey, this color don't come from a bottle."
No doubt Sylvia was living by the now-famous catchphrase by Clairol, “Does she…or doesn’t she? Only her hairdresser knows for sure."
How did you do??? Leave me a comment with your score!!
Answers: 1.c 2.b 3.b 4.b 5.c 6.c 7.b 8.c 9.a 10.b